Thursday, July 10, 2014

Love from Michigan

July 3, 2014

So I finally made it to Michigan.  The flights were super cool.  I loved it when the plane took off and threw me back into the seat!  We took two planes to get here.  We went from Salt Lake to Minneapolis (I think) and then to Detroit.  I was beyond stressed during the first flight.  Not only didn't my dumb credit card not work, but I also had to sit all by myself.  I was a lot nervous and really got to trust God on that one.  By the time I got here, I felt like a pro!

We got off the plane and President and Sister Gerber met us by the baggage claim.  They knew us all by name and knew our faces.  They hugged all of us.  That was cool and just what I needed.  It's cool that they knew us all.  We stepped out of the airport and I literally started to melt!  It was so muggy and gross.  It was hot and sweaty and the air was so thick!  So we jumped into the car as soon as possible and went to the mission home.  All of the roads are pretty bad with potholes and stuff but they also go from pavement to dirt and back and it's on a major road!

When we got to the mission home, everything was so green and trees everywhere.  They let us settle for a little bit and then we sat through some training.  They let us take a nap and then had more training.  The next day we went to the church and got our trainers.  My trainer's name is Elder Tanner Olsen.  He's awesome, a really good guy.  He's showing me the ropes.  We don't have any investigators so we go and knock a lot of doors and visit part-member and less active families.  He even has a cousin that used to live in Shelley that I knew.  We have a car and a pretty big area.  That first day he took me to meet some of the members. We met the ward mission leader's family.  They are super nice.  They have a daughter on a mission, one that just graduated and one that is 10.

I had my first dinner appointment.  The house was in a trailer park, not judging, but it was not a clean house. It made me nervous to eat something that came out of it!  We went and met the Thompson family.  They are super nice and love to have us over.  They have three sons, one of which is on a mission.  Sister Thompson is a member and her husband, Jerry, is not. When we were there, Sister Thompson was watching a friend's children--there were eight of them.  It made me homesick to hear them and see them playing. Poor Elder Olsen was kind of overwhelmed but it made me ache. I felt so at home with it, it was really hard to leave.

I miss you guys but I'm doing good. The weather doesn't bother me and the people are good.  It just fits!  You'd almost think God knew I was supposed to be here, ha ha.  I can't wait until Monday to hear from you again!  I love you.  Tell every one I miss them and love them.

Cooper

With Elder Olsen
At the Thompson's home.

No comments:

Post a Comment